A standing-room only event at the Steam Whistle Brewery in Toronto, Wednesday’s ideaBOOST Launch Pad event was an exciting night for Canadian entrepreneurs and investors to rub shoulders and wrap up months of intensive work. Hosted by Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q on CBC Radio One and CBC TV, ideaBOOST participants from the Spring 2013 cohort took to the stage to make their pitch for investment and to entertain questions from the audience. “ideaBOOST is the only niche accelerator for digital entertainment and I’m thrilled to say is growing from strength to strength since its launch last year,“ Ana Serrano, the CFC’s Chief Digital Officer said. “Tonight, we are here to view the six companies who have each participated in an intensive bootcamp helping prepare them to navigate the entertainment ecosystem and to build sustainable digital entertainment properties.” In no particular order, here is a rundown of ideaBOOST’s Spring 2013 cohort:
- Wondereur – an app that brings storytelling to e-tailing, beginning with contemporary artists
- BeMused Network – a community-based discovery service for entertainment and events
- Motion Panels+ – an authoring tool that animates graphic novels, cartoon strips and story books for mobile devices
- ALERT-TV+ – an online system that enables producers to target and engage audiences using multi-platform strategies to measure success
- Lightning Platform – a cloud-based platform that tracks and targets user actions to aid product and service development
- Instaradio – a simple and powerful way to live stream and record audio that can be listened to on any device.
“The IdeaBOOST program has been an amazing journey that provided Motion Panels with opportunities which was previously beyond our reach. Last night’s Launch Pad was a milestone for us that signifies the start of our new adventure as we move forward with the launch of our exciting products. We thank the CFC for their valued support and hope that ideaBOOST continues to live on to help out other start-ups with their endeavours.” - Melch Valimento, Motion Panels+ “ideaBOOST program is a fantastic way to introduce your business to the Canadian creative community. The network is not only resourceful but also responsive and willing to get behind your idea.” - Kevin Kilman, Instaradio “Participating in the ideaBOOST program gave us access to mentors and resources that accelerated the development of BeMused Network’s beta service. The assistance we received at the early stage of our knowledge network development will go a long way in allowing us to reach our next goal. Turning an idea into reality truly takes a village. The amazing team running the program gave us the support we needed, and advocated for us wherever we went. The colleagues and supporters that we worked and continue to work with will no doubt be the most valuable thing from this experience.” - Margaret Lam, BeMused Network ideaBOOST’s third Cohort was also officially announced at Wednesday’s event. This cohort includes:
- Bublcam – a consumer ready camera that captures everything through spherical photos and videos.
- L.A.R.G.E. - a tool kit for the creation of location-based and augmented reality experiences.
- RadioMogul – a platform to create, customize & curate your own monetizable Internet radio station.
- ThinkDirty – a mobile app that makes reading beauty and body care product labels simple, easy and fun.
- uMentioned - a location app that allows you to anonymously flirt and make new friends with people nearby.
- WeirdWood Manor – a unique storytelling experience—a novel brought to life through interaction and animation.
Be sure to stay tuned for updates on these new companies, and on the ideaBOOST program as a whole.